This blog hopes to explore the pain and embarrassment of hemorrhoids, anal tears, anal fissures, proctitis, etc, on a personal basis, and some of the possible solutions and, hopefully, the healing process. If you would like to join the blog, leave a comment with your email, and I will invite you and remove your email and comment. I am writing it for myself and anyone who has similar problems.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

How much fiber?

Les Fleurs
digitally altered photograph by me

I read on Livestrong and elsewhere that I was eating too much fiber, and I cut back--and that may have contributed to my current problem

Dr. Beeai and Dr. Barbe are always saying to have fiber--(but not bran.)  They never suggested I was in danger of eating TOO MUCH fiber.

I found an entry Wikipedia that says:  "the intake of dietary fiber could hinder the absorption of vitamins, minerals, and proteins.[3] Dietary fiber helps the gastrointestinal tract absorb excess water and remove food wastes, but an excessively high intake of dietary fiber will also negatively affect the absorption process in the intestinal tract. Taking a fiber supplement can decrease the absorption of minerals by decreasing the transit time, lowering the concentration of minerals by accumulating more fecal matter, and can also cause the minerals to become trapped in the feces, leaving the body without absorption. This could affect individuals who may not be meeting, or barely attaining, their body's mineral or nutrient needs. [4]

I have not seen yet anything giving a healthy range of fiber, and then,t hat may have to be modified for my needs, if I ever et over this problem.

So I looked it up, found this:  How much fiber do you need? Women need 25 grams per day and men should get 38 grams per day, according to an Institute of Medicine formula based on getting 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories. Of course, my needs may be a little different (especially right now).  But I need something to shoot for eventually, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment